Choral Arts New England Mission Statement
Choral Arts New England provides resources to elevate choral music and creativity in New England, primarily through Alfred Nash Patterson Grants.
The Board has also adopted the tag line, ““Elevating choral music and creativity through Alfred Nash Patterson Grants,” which is to be used with the organization name whenever possible.
About Choral Arts New England
Choral Arts New England was formed in 1980 as a memorial to Alfred Nash “Bud” Patterson, the founder of Boston's Chorus pro Musica and an inspiring cultural leader, mentor and model for singers, conductors and composers. Our mission is to provide resources to encourage choral excellence in New England, primarily through Alfred Nash Patterson Grants.
Today, Choral Arts New England conducts many activities to support choral singing, particularly the following:
- Alfred Nash Patterson grants are given annually for outstanding projects that further the choral arts. The grants support adventurous programming and broaden repertory by encouraging performance of new compositions and long-neglected works, support music education and the training of young choral singers, encourage festivals and other cooperative choral projects, and otherwise enrich the quality of choral singing in all six New England states. Grants are carefully evaluated, including a review of applying choruses by a committee of distinguished artistic advisors. Applications are due by the end of February for projects that will begin on or after the following July. Decisions are made and applicants notified by the beginning of May, whether or not the application is granted.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award is presented annually by Choral Arts New England to individuals who have made exceptional contributions to choral singing and its culture within New England.
- Awards and grants are presented at the annual fall awards ceremony, which is usually held in mid or late October. The ceremony is a wonderful opportunity to meet representatives of various choruses, choral directors, composers, members of the Choral Arts board of directors, and other supporters of our cause.
- An online choral calendar that aims to list all major choral events in New England (it can be customized to show only local events). Anyone can submit calendar events.
- A directory of choruses of New England, listing all choral societies throughout the region. Anyone can submit a new directory listing for consideration.
- This website includes online news that includes information of interest to New England choral singers, and accepts submissions of items of interest for publication. It is supplemented by a biannual print newsletter, sent to our mailing list.
Choral Arts New England is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, run by a Board of Directors. We welcome your comments.