Junior Providence Singers
JPS is a multiweek choral training and performance program for high school singers in southern New England, conducted in collaboration with the Music School of the Rhode Island Philharmonic Orchestra. Members connect with other singers at weekly rehearsals, expand their vocal and musical skills together, and finish their program with a concert of innovative choral repertoire — music from three centuries to three minutes ago.
JPS welcomes singers who want to supplement their high school chorus instruction, instrumental students looking to “cross-train” in another musical discipline, and singers whose high schools do not currently offer choral education.
Paulette LaParle, the JPS music director, will lead two sessions a week — Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 6:15 to 9 p.m., beginning July 18 and ending with a public concert on August 16. All JPS students will explore:
- Enhanced vocal technique in a classical choral setting
- Development of musicianship skills
- Ear training and sight-reading music
- Two Broadway musical selections, with solo opportunities
The program will also offer in-depth workshops including:
- Techniques for preparing an audition
- A master class in vocal technique (MP3 audition required)
- A study of stage dynamics and onstage presence
- Arranging vocal compositions
No audition is necessary, but a teacher recommendation is required. Tuition assistance is available for qualifying students.